PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A319 hits turbulence
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 20:01
ACL1011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the Anglo version:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...ght-cause.html

An Air Canada Airbus on its way from Victoria to Toronto dropped suddenly in midair likely because of the wake from a passing plane, according to a Calgary newspaper report.

The Calgary Sun quotes Real Levasseur, the chief investigator of the Transportation Safety Board, as saying there was a "high probability that an external force may have caused the incident."

Flight AC190 was diverted to Calgary on its way from Victoria to Toronto.
(CBC) The Airbus A319 had been flying for about 30 minutes on Jan. 10 when it suddenly rolled and dropped about 300 metres. Passengers said the pilots reported a computer failure onboard at the time.

Flight AC190 was diverted to Calgary, where 10 passengers and crew members were taken to hospital with mainly soft-tissue injuries. All were discharged several hours later.

The aircraft's roll of 46 degrees was described by an Air Canada pilot as an unusual occurrence. "The pitch caused by a regular turn generally ranges around 30 degrees," Serge Beaulieu, spokesman for the Air Canada Pilots Association, told the Sun. He also confirmed wake turbulence was a possible cause.

The incident happened at the edge of U.S. airspace near the B.C. Kootenay Mountains. The TSB has asked its U.S. counterpart to provide navigational recordings from the area.

Levasseur refused to speculate on the mystery aircraft, or to discuss the possibility it could have been a B-2 stealth bomber, according to the Sun report.

U.S. Air Force officials told the newspaper Tuesday that stealth bombers always leave a radar signature when they are not flying over a war zone.

This reminds me of a story a from friend of mine who was AC cabin crew. Disclaimer: (1) I am SLF; and (2) She told me this over 10 years ago, so I don't remember all the details.

She was flying out of Vancouver on a B767 and was in the cockpit when the two pilots suddenly looked concerned. Turns out, a US stealth jet was flying below them. I know she told me how many feet separated them, but I can't remember now. However, it was close enough that the two pilots were not impressed.

slinks back to steerage