PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 14:26
northumberlandairway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If MOL were to ask me...

OK. Let's look at this from a purely economical point of view. Airlines are not charities, profit is not a dirty word and they are there to make money, pure and simple.

Yet when I look at some of the routes that Ryanair have launched recently I find it hard to believe that some of them will be economically viable. Look at the destinations map and you will see some routes which are best obscure. Liverpool, Bristol, Birmingham, EMA and Glasgow all have them. There are cities there that most geography graduates would struggle to place.

Newcastle is one of the UK's major cities, it and its hinterland have a reasonably varied and stable economy despite whatever the doom merchants might say. However it is a very sad state of affairs that soon there will be more routes in and out of Newquay than Newcastle.

Make no bones about it, Tyneside can support routes to a lot of cities across Europe. Where could Ryanair go to then? Milan and Oslo were lost because they wanted to use the planes elsewhere despite the fact they were performing reasonably well, the region's Polish community is crying out for links to cities such as Wroclaw and Gdansk, EZY should never have cut Berlin and why can't Newcastle justify a link to the Spanish capital? Other places do.

There is a belief here that Newcastle is too small and it's population only interested in frying on a beach. I think neither to be true. I think that the cities mentioned above (I'm sure others could think of other destinations themselves) that would turn in a profit for Ryanair should they be brave enough to base just one plane up here.