PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia-Tell me it aint true! (Merged Thread)
Old 16th Jan 2008, 08:50
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loveflying737, apparently knowing the South African pilots who arer heading up the V Australia team as well as you apparently do, I can only assume you're very new to Australia (if you're living in the country at all). I hope I'm not causing offence whan I say that that it clashes with our national culture to be as in love with management as you seem to be, and may prove to be an impediment to repeat drinking partners should you continue to wear that love of yours so obviously on your sleeve.

That said, I can't recall anyone wailing about not being given a job yet. The complaints have been over the silence from V Australia over intervirew dates. I understand everyone who was called in December was told to expect interviews to be scheduled for sometime in January.

The fact is, if that time line is adhered to, many if not most potential candidates for a job as a pilot with V Australia will probably be unable to attend, unless the interview dates happen - by sheer luck - to co-incide with their days off. I'm sure V Australia would not want their candidates maintaining a dying Australian tradition of pulling a sickie to attend their interviews, as many will have to do should V Australia stick with their advertised interview dates of 'sometime in January'.

In my company, if I want particular days off, I need to know quite some time in advance, as bidding for January rosters closes early in December. I assume it would be very much the same for most pilots employed by any major airline.

Most pilots are required to give three months notice to their current employers. If V Australia want to get their first recruits in May - as they've apparently told some applicants - (which I agree sounds a bit early for already endorsed crew), they'll need to get a move on, as I'm assuming most people offered a job would want considerably more than 24 hours to consider making such a major decision. (There's a huge gulf for most of us between attending an interview and actually making the Big 'D' to put in our resignations and move halfway around the world to (in most cases) a job offering considerably less money.)

I know it will be for me.