PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 05:02
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should imagine that the arrival of FR at BHX has set off panic warning bells at both BE and WW. However when you look at route structure, I doubt that many of the destinations offered by BE from BHX would be of direct interest to FR (HAM, HAJ, FRA, DUS, CDG etc). I doubt that even if FR start BVA, Hahn etc that many pax would migrate from BE as they use BE for the reason that they go into major airports. I can see BE concentrating its expansion efforts now at SOU/EXT and in Scotland (with the new Loganair franchise), dropping its 'leisure' routes from BHX (La Rochelle, Brest etc) and concentrating at BHX on its few core ex BACON business routes.

For Baby, its a more worrying situation, FR have not overlapped on any routes this summer (except MRS) but who knows what next summer - all Babys routes from BHX are prime FR fodder. But maybe there is a clause in the deal struck to 'protect' Baby, after all BHX have spent a lot of time developing a good relationship with them and they are now a respected and well known brand in the West Midlands (offering dare I say it a better all round product too). I doubt that Baby wil up sticks from BHX but perhaps this is the end of their expansion plans and they will simply now stay relatively static as has happened at EMA.

IMHO I think there is room for all three airlines at BHX, good luck to them all and heres to the long awaited and well deserved good news for BHX