PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Airways- Melbourne
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 02:39
HostieHoney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wyle,

Minimum rest is 10 hours. If you do a duty over 11 hours it is increased to 12 hours rest I think. You can expect to work anywhere from 6 hour days (though these are few and far between) but more commonly days are averaging 10-12 hours. There is no limit to the amount of hours you can work in a week - you just can't work more than 140 duty hours in a rolling 28 day roster. 8 days off a month. Working about 40-50 hours over 4 or 5 days is quite normal. No overnights, except for the darwin and perth back of the clock flights, which means you fly all night and return in the morning. I've got no authority to comment on the interview process, pay or training. Age and marital status should never really come into question with any job, so that shouldn't be a concern for you if you are fit enough and have the right skills that they are looking for! Tiger will be recruiting like mad for some months to come I imagine, so just apply and give it a go.

On a different note, I guess we hang around and "punish ourselves" because when we are onboard we are working with likeminded people who all enjoy doing what they do and it makes for a nice day. And maybe we're all hoping that one day soon Management will acknowledge the way the crew feel and actually do something about it. Or just honour the words that Managment delivered to us during training. Even honouring certain parts of the AWA which we signed in good faith would be a great start (after all, it is a legal and binding document which you can't simply change the terms of by saying "oops, we didn't word that section properly..."). Communication from Management would be a great first step in breaking down the "us and them" culture that seemed to sprout after day one of flying. It's a pretty basic notion that if staff are happy, passengers will be too. I remember being taught in the good ol' days that when a passenger complains, if you just listen to them and acknowledge how they feel, thats the first step in sorting the situation out. If you bite back, they'll only get even more worked up. I'm sure you would remember being taught that too Ms Tiger, and it's no different to when it comes to listening to crew!

Its a pretty basic HR principle that company culture and staff morale comes from the top down - it's certainly not built by suggesting to crew to resign. But hey, thats your call.