PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 Total electrical failure?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2008, 17:07
Swedish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
While this incident had several reasons/factors that 'lined up' to create the right scenario for the incident, the fact remains that if the cabin crew (not just on the flight in question) only put clear liquids ie water down the drains ten they wouldn't block, water wouldn't overflow etc etc. The aircraft drains are designed purely for water like liquids not tea, coffee, vegetable soup etc.
and just where should the other than clear liquids go?

Well I think they should all go down the toilets. Aircraft drains have too much "thick" liquids, i.e. orange juice, coffee, milk, wine and not enough water flowing through them The thick fluids mix together on the way and congeal. There is not enough water to flush them out.
The worst case I see is the drain pan below the coffee makers on the A320. This is quite a large drain tube (by aircraft drain standards), but the only liquid it ever sees is spilt coffee. The coffee dries in the drain and it gets blocked. Impossible to clear on the ramp.
Galley drains are just simply designed too small. A large galley drain is one cm diam. They are always blocking up.
If any cabin crew read this, please pour a coffee pot of hot water down each sink every flight. It really helps.