PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade to left seat or run away?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2008, 19:49
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMC OVERHEAT

I am a similar age to you and I got my first command a year ago and it's on a medium jet. I have always wanted to go long haul but had not applied for anything at the time so accepting the command was an easier decision for me.

I have however found my command experience very rewarding and the past year has been a fantastic learning experience. If I had the chance to go long haul when the command was offered then I probably would of taken the command for the experience. Looking back and using hindsight - I would of taken the command even if it means I may delay a potential move to a bigger company. The way I see it at the moment is that despite not having the greatest roster plus other issues, the extra money is very nice and transformed my quality of life. that in turn will make me look very closely at other airlines when I do wish to move on. In otherwords I feel less likely to make a move which would be a mistake since I have more to loose now with T+Cs than I did as a F/O.

The command can open so many new doors (training etc) and you could find yourself joining a long haul airline in a couple of years time having a lot more to offer than your peers who are in the right hand seat.

If it is of any use then relation of mine who is a trainer in a long haul company strongly advised me to take the command and postpone a move.

Whatever you do... best of luck