PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qlink-457 visas for Dash8-400 drivers
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2008, 08:21
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Keg,

I remember a few years ago Dixon stated quite clearly that career progression would happen "over his dead body" and that if put in that position he would sell the regionals off.

The question you have to ask is this: Is it better to pig-headedly stick to this fatally flawed ethos and see the very people you need go to your opposition in unprecedented (and uncontrolled numbers), or do you accept the fact that you must offer them a career path, and take control of the rate these guy's progress out of one part of your company into another? (And keep them in the QF Group?)

The QF group NEEDS experienced crew throughout its operations. All businesses have a shortfall in one way or another. Regardless of which side of the fence you sit, the fact of the matter is that whoever has all the pilots wins. Currently Qantas is deliberately overlooking a critical means of stopping attrition.

The other problem they will be facing from February is the imminent onslaught into much of the Qantaslink market by Virgin Blue. Ironically, a lot of the E-Jet crews will be recently departed highly experienced QantasLink pilots! How will QantasLink respond? How can QantasLink respond?

Why did/are they leaving? Many for less (initially) wages!

There are quite a few Captains who do not wish to leave, but see no alternative. Lifestyle died with the last EBA but all the companies these Captains are applying to offer at least 2 more days off per month. The only other way of boosting your lifestyle is via a Mainline position.

Therefore, if the company is unable to offer much needed lifestyle improvements and a career path within the QF Group to their key regional staff, these staff will take the easier option and progress themselves outside the group. Then the group loses out. Both Qantas and QantasLink.

I used the following analogy to one of my managers recently: With the current crew shortages if I were in a position of influence I would be like a rabid dog trying to viciously protect my staff from going to the opposition. I would take all necessary steps to get them to want to stay - not want to leave.......If that means career progression and lifestyle improvements, then so be it. A small price to pay for keeping the opposition's hands off my experienced staff and making it harder for them to crew their aeroplanes!

At the moment more still want to leave. Kind of says it all

If I were a shareholder I'd be spewing at the thought of losing revenue through a lack of crew. I'd be livid if I knew these same crew were going to the opposition purely because of one person's pig-headedness!

Last edited by Hugh Jarse; 14th Jan 2008 at 08:53.