PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. ATC shortages; Already a Crisis?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 14:48
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, you better chill out. You have completely the wrong end of the stick! I am very happy where I am, thanks.

My post was addressed to the thread starter. Is that not obvious? I was suggesting to him that the problems in the U.S.might be addressed in the manner mentioned. I cited Australia as an example where closure of airspace has resulted in press coverage, and sudden attention by those who can do something about it. I mentioned the ME was addressing staffing issues by throwing money around to attract staff (as you point out, quite rightly, Dubai {and to a lesser extent the UAE and Bahrain} has done). The airspace closures in Australia came about purely due to running out of staff. It was/is NOT orchestrated, industrial action, petulence or any other such thing. It is the result of relying on overtime to run regular service. You can only play that game for so long before the well dries up. Instead of using overtime as a stop-gap measure to gain breathing space to fix the problem, it became the ops normal. All the while the staff numbers continually bled away, with absolutely no plan to address re-staffing. It's now crunch time.

Is all that clear enough? In your haste to make my post into some sort of call to arms in the ME, you have made an arse of yourself. I learn my lessons. I don't expect an apology will be forthcoming, but I'm sure the wider audience can discern for themselves the intent of various posts here.

ps. I would love to go into a diatribe about managers, middle or otherwise, growing the balls to lead, rather than just "manage". I'll save that for a more appropriate time and place.