PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIN SAT 12th AT 1630 local
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 11:51
CAPTAIN WOOBLAH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there GE,

Cool down, you'll give yourself a heart attack. As a total chicken I hear what you are saying. I too have been flying heavy jets for decades. But raving and ranting will not get your point across. Just as raving and ranting will not get a student pilot to learn faster or act correctly under pressure.

You have made valid points regarding windshear, contaminated runways etc. and, we all strive toward safety. Sometimes we all can and do make bad decisions, perhaps because we are human and are after all, considered the weakest link in the safety chain. Don't you remember scaring your goodself at least once in your illustrious career. And didn't you learn from that bad decision! I know I have, and I believe this has made me a safer and better operator. Perhaps you like I had a chance to make most of our mistakes in Cessna's, Pipers and Barons hauling bank cheques and news papers all alone in some remote part of the world where nobody cared if a tiny piece of aluminium fell out of the sky. But the young ones these days learn on the 737 or 320. And unfortunately they did not have a chance to make mistakes on the little ones but due to the nature of aviation today make those same mistakes on the jets.

I constantly dream of a perfect world with perfect rules and an aviation industry with a perfect record. But its not going to happen and we will sadly have to learn from the mistakes of others.

Wooblah.