PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 day check - logged as P1 or PUT?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 11:12
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To use the car analogy posted previously,

[snip]

...........thus the trip round the block is not a check unless you say that every time you are in the car you are checking and thus every drive is a check-drive.
I agree that a check flight, where a prospective hirer is being checked out by a (presumably experienced) PPL has a bit of a dubious status. Indeed, on the one hand you designate the prospective hirer as PIC, on the other hand he's being checked by someone who doesn't have had formal training to train or check somebody, but who does limit what the PIC can do (particularly he limits the ability of the PIC to refuse to take the check pilot as passenger).

Nevertheless, there are owners who feel that they need to keep an eye on the flying ability, rustiness etc. of the dudes that fly in their aircraft. I guess it's sort of the same situation where my parents drove with me in their car when I just had my drivers license, every once in a while (usually instead of driving themselves, with me as passenger, to a venue where we needed to go anyway). If they thought I was completely unsafe, they simply would not allow that. But they thought I was safe, and just corrected driving habits which might lead to an unsafe situation in the future. And gave me tips on efficient driving etc.

So if you allow a mere PPL to check somebody else out on behalf of the owner, you have to make really clear what the legal status and the limits on the responsibility of the check pilot are. Plus, you've got to make clear what criteria you want the check pilot to apply.

But bringing us back to the question that started it all... If you have done so, is the prospective hirer allowed to log P1, or not?