PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL-FI Requirements changing with EASA?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 10:51
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I find it hard to believe that most integrated school graduates show poor theoretcial knowledge of flying I am definately in the pro-EASA recommendation camp.

A newly qualified CPL holder with around 200 hours is still very inexperienced - they will not have had much P1 experience, especially when making weather calls (which is the primary flight safety decision I find myself making on a daily basis as an instructor) as this decision will have been made by their own instructors during their training. Those with experience know that examining the METARS/TAFS studiously is no comparrison for the kind of met knowledge you gain through flying every day. Also, most CPL holders of recent years have gained their P1 time (and CPL!) in Florida. A totally different environment to the UK!

Therefore, I would like to add one stipulation to the minimum hours requirement in this EASA proposal and that is that all applicants must have completed 200 hours as P1 in the country they wish to instruct in. 150 P1 in the Florida sun means jack sh1t when you fly in the UK and I fear many will start using this route to obtain their PPL FI ticket just as wannabe airline modular students do which is not so much of a problem when the individual wishes to move straight to an airline but when they wish to instruct it adds a whole new worrying dimension. Will schools be that flush with instructors they will be able to turn those less attractive away?

As I see it - Joe Bloggs with zero flying time can sod off to the USA, get his PPL, hours build and then do the FIC (in the USA) and within a coupla months from start to finish be back here in the UK knocking on a flying school's door asking for an FI job. Hmmm.......

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 13th Jan 2008 at 11:03.