PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL-FI Requirements changing with EASA?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 10:33
Pringle 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I thought, the suggestion is a reduction in the standard required to be able to instruct for money. Yes I know you can become an instructor as a PPL already (hours as Beagle specifies) and I know some PPL's (BCPL's) were rightly given grandfather rights which is of course only fair.

You didn't mention the current requirement to demonstrate knowledge to CPL level even if you are a PPL. Do you think this should be removed? If you do.......the knowledge base level of PPL instructors will reduce.

Yes, I know I am saying, "I had to so so should you." We all tend to look at these things 'selfishly' as demontrated by Westmorland who believes he is ready to start an FI course. He or she may well be of an appropriate standard but how can they demonstrate this. Perhaps a pre entry flight test with the person you are about to pay do the course is not the best way? It's all very subjective.

The current shortage of instructors is what is driving this. As a body of professionals I don't think we are standing up for ourselves. The plumber who fitted my boiler a month ago was able to charge a pretty high price for the job as there is a shortage of plumbers. He didn't get together with his plumber mates and say....lets forget about the Corgi thing and let the builders mate go and quote for jobs. Why not?...... "I had to do it, so so should you. " They are wise enough to realise that standards would drop and ultimately they would all lose money.

Why are existing instructors driving this?