PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silly rest periods in IAH (EK)
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 08:45
Kamelchaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my 5 fils worth again...

It may be all well and good for the few people who can get suitable rest for 7 hours in a cramped bunk at 10am. Good on you, but I'm pretty sure you're in the minority. Think about the rest of crew. I'm guessing but suspect perhaps 80% of the rest of the crew don't achieve anywhere near that much rest.I personally am lucky to get 2 to 3 hours rest, regardless of the time of the day. And what about the cabin crew? 1st class crew may be lucky to get a good break, but the rest normally get about 4 hours total. And they're working bloody hard on those sectors. The passengers seem like they haven't eaten in days!

So essentially, you may be well rested, but you're probably surrounded by other crew members on the brink of making some fatigue induced mistakes. Are you happy with that?

I remember when we used to do the SIN-SYD-SIN slingshot. Night both ways, 12hrs rest at the noisy SYD airport hotel during the day. (as usual, EK exemption to break the 10hrs flight time in 24hrs rule) On departure from SYD, when I hit the TOGA buttons, there was an almighty crash in the front galley..someone had forgotten to secure one of the trolleys..crockery all over the floor. Almost caused a reject. Many other small errors on that particular flight put down to fatigue.

I'm afraid simply stating that you can cope, (and therefore that everyone else is a whimp), certainly doesn't promote the interests of CRM, passenger safety and flight safely in general.