PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 Total electrical failure?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2008, 23:11
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
DutchRoll
The same Borghetti who walked into a meeting with junior managers a while ago (according to one who was there) and stated: "If I hear any of you say one bad word about this company, I'll sack you. Now, what is the first item on the agenda?"
The British businessman, Sir John Harvey-Jones, who died this week, taken from the obit on the BBC website:

Sir John believed that the failings of any business or organisation should always be blamed on the people at the top.

"When you know something's wrong, nine times out of 10 it's the management - in truth, because people aren't being led right," he once said. "And bad leaders invariably blame the people."

"It is not your job to exploit your position of power," he said. "It's easy to do that. My experience of life is that you get the best out of people by encouraging their self belief."

Whilst I never met him, I had occasion to speak to him on the phone for about 35 minutes for a project I was doing in 1991. He was polite, amusing and helpful, giving me his time on the phone for free.