PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of FAA, JAA licences, and N reg aircraft
Old 12th Jan 2008, 21:38
DaveW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camlobe
Our survey said:

FAA Piggyback does NOT require BFR.
Unfortunately, verbal advice from FAA representatives has been demonstrated to be in error before.

In one of the previous discussions on this point here, the relevant FAR (61.56) was found and quoted - you do need a BFR to exercise your "piggyback" FAA certificate.

Originally Posted by DaveW
FAR 61.56 deals with the Flight Review:

Quote:
c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has--
(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor; and
(2) A logbook endorsed from an authorized instructor who gave the review certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed the review.
Given the provenance of the quote (i.e. the FARs) "Authorized" obviously means "authorised by the FAA", which your UK instructor who flew with you for your JAA "biennial" won't be in 99.9% of cases. In the final 0.1%, he/she needs to sign your logbook with the relevant FAA wording and CFI number.

(Paras (d), (e) and (g) are not relevant to this discussion.)
SoCal App from these fora, if he's still around, has an excellent handle on all of this and also an apparently close understanding of how the FAA FSDOs deal with it in practice. Might be worth a PM to him if the above doesn't convince.

Edited to say that I'd forgotten 'til I reviewed it that in the thread above, Arrowflyer quotes a letter, "approved by the FAA's Office of Chief Counsel" which explicitly states that a BFR is required. So, no question about it.

Last edited by DaveW; 12th Jan 2008 at 22:06. Reason: More detail, from the horse's (or at least FAA's) mouth