PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 day check - logged as P1 or PUT?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2008, 19:33
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which bit of the hirer logs the P1 didnt you understand?
The bit after you said you required a check.

To require a check you must have a reason for such a requirement. If you say it is to check the pilot's ability to be pilot in command then how before you have completed such a check can you permit them to be pilot in command.

You are not checking anything because you have determined the outcome in advance by permitting the person you are checking to act in the capicity you are checking them for.

The only time you can get away with such a situation is where you require pilots who are current according to your rules to perform a check flight. An example is that which many groups and clubs have of requiring all members to perform an annual check flight regardless of how much flying they have done. In that case if the pilot is current according to the club or group rules eg they have flown in the past 28 days etc etc, then in that case they could be pilot in command because under your rules they are entitled to be. If they are outside your currency rule or are new then by your own rules they can not be pilot in command.

I can not believe that people say that we need to check people (for whatever reason) before permitting them to be pilot in command of our aircraft and then without having performed that check permit them to be pilot in command.

Do you need a check or don't you?

Or is it simply an excuse for free flying?

I would not recomend to any passenger that unless there is an emergency they ever interfere with the conduct of a flight. I would point out that in fact regardless of how you as a passenger think a flight is progressing you can not interfere with the flight because that is unlawfull.

Passengers are not entitled to do anything other than obey the pilot in command. So we have people who will not trust a pilot to be pilot in command of their aircraft solo in case they break it but are willing to risk their lives as well as the aircraft by being a passenger in the aircraft with that person. Now that is plain stupid.

Regards,

DFC