PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. ATC shortages; Already a Crisis?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2008, 17:08
Jetwhine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question U.S. ATC shortages; Already a Crisis?

Since we have such an international audience here, I'm curious about the number of controllers your particular country seems to have vs. what they need.

I'm not a controller, but as a pilot, we are watching the number of close calls rise at an astronomical rate. It seems the day is soon approaching when two of them won't miss.

You may have heard that we also have had a heck of a fight over the user fee system that many of your countries use. We almost seem to have beaten that back.

But the shortage of controllers - and the increasing pace that experienced controllers are leaving the system falls on dead ears and I can't see the link.

I know Americans - not all of us luckily - can seem pretty self involved, but do you think it is only that no one has made a monetary link to the controller shortage here that is keeping this from the front pages of action for our Congress?

Honestly too, it is reaching a point where I'm seriously concerned about keeping me from being front page news as one of the people who bought it a really preventable collision.

Any thoughts?

Jetwhine