PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YMMB
Thread: YMMB
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2008, 08:26
Stationair8

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts
YMMB

Over the last few weeks had a few trips into YMMB, good to the a bit more flying activity.
Seems to a fair bit of flying training both rotary and fixed wing going on compared to a few years ago when i last visited.
I was having a wander around to fill in time as you do some things change yet other things haven't changed over the last 30 years;
1.No more mass departures at 4pm for Flinders Island Airline PA-31 carrying the newspapers upcountry- afternoon edition of The Herald,

2.Ron Roberton theory classrooms long gone,

3.Schutts Hangar no new Cessnas waiting to be assembled inside, the flying s school long gone old Schutty would turn in his grave,

4. Fred Blakes old office is still their, just no new shiny Pipers out the front.
Remember parked up at the fence with the For Sale sign on the prop

5. John Corrells office for Correll Advanced Flight Trainingtaken over by some accountant

6. Australian Air Charterers/Ausair-no more PA-31 heading up to Tulla to do night freight,

7. Civil flying Services no longer in operation

8. No more 35 centre for IFR arrivals or departures-not recommended for the faint hearted

9. No more 3DB flying tadpole - younger generation will have to think about that,

10. Wandering back to my aircraft, I notice a young instructor and a student head off to pre-flight a Cessna C152, I wonder how many times that has happened over the years at YMMB.

11. The C172's used by the SEC for powerline inspections.

As we taxi we join the line of Pa-28 and Cessna taxing with eager students, a Seminole heading off for an IFR Navex , RFDS Kingair , a flash looking Jabiru even some of the call-signs sound familiar.

Good to see the old place busy