PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 Total electrical failure?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2008, 12:59
skiesfull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's face some facts instead of worrying over what might have been. Jan 22nd will mark the 38th anniversary of the first commercial flight of the 747. How many total electrics failures have occurred since then? Is it an acceptable risk?
This incident was resolved by the crew's skills and initiative without injury to anyone - yes they were fortunate that it happened in daylight, good weather and only 15 mins from a major airfield. So what will be the outcome?
1) A directive and possibly a modification from Boeing regarding drainage close to the electrics bay, involving regular inspections.
2) Possibly a recommendation to retrofit at least the -400 fleets with an ISFD, giving 150 mins of altitude/attitude/speed.
3) A checklist from Boeing in the non-normal QRH referring to action following toatl electrics failure, including what flaps and gear -if any- are affected by downgraded electrics.
As for RAT's, the only 4 engined a/c I flew with an ELRAT was the VC10 -when it was deployed following all- engine flame-out due fuel mismanagement, it promptly separated and is currently on the sea bed somewhere between Hong Kong and Tokyo, I believe. Perhaps 411A can recount the number of times the L1011 RAT was used for real?
When pax were able to visit the cockpit I often had requests to try a hand-held GPS - it never worked in the cockpit.
Safety is furthered by paying close attention to incidents and accidents, and making carefully considered recommendations - not by knee jerk reactions.