PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 Total electrical failure?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2008, 07:46
the dog74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]Qantas, too, is still flying around at least one Classic 747, which is testament to their old system of maintenance and a good basic airplane design. The 747-400's are much younger than this and still have many years of productive life ahead of them. I wouldn't write them off just yet

Close, QF still run 4 classics however they are not that much older then the first 744's, i think if memory serves me right one is only 2 years older.

to add a little light on the whole pwr issue of QF2, main bat powers static inverter and when hopefully power switch is in auto ac stby contactor provides power to ac bus 3 ie capt's instruments rmp's ect also powering dc bus 3 via the t/r.

not to sure in this case even if APU on 744's was available for elec use ie inflight start if it would of helped i heard there was a bucket load of fluid in there affecting both e1 and e2 racks. also was told about several others aircraft having problems with the drip shields.

Now lets not forget that ALL aircraft suffer things like this from time to time the old 744 is a great beast and the guys that maintain them do a great job.I think this is just a little reminder that more attention needs to be paid to these aircraft in heavy checks. The old rule of if you can't see it properly, pull it appart till you can, applies.

My thanks to all the men and women who service maintain and fly the mighty 744 (aswell as all a/c) keep up the top job.