PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knee Surgery barring entry to the military
Old 11th Jan 2008, 06:53
Monty77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jimbob85

I tore my ACL playing rugby in 1983, had a reconstruction and joined the RAF as a pilot in 1986, leaving in 2004 with A1G1Z1 (fully fit for all behaviour). The lucky bit for me was that the consultant at Cambridge who performed the reconstruction, a Mr Dandy, also happened to be the RAF consultant. He said at the time that there was still a bit of movement in the knee after the operation, but as it was his work, he couldn't exactly call it a bad job and call me unfit. It would not have passed muster for the Army.

I got throught the rigours of IOT which was more demanding on the knees than a survival exercise. Drill was the worst bit, having to stamp your right foot down a lot, and then run about with telegraph poles. In my case, the knee simply filled with fluid at protest with accompanying stiffness due to all the fluid in the tissues. No pain, but looked impressive. Thereafter, no problems throughout my career, participating in 5 a side footie, skiing, bicycle bar jousting with nary a problem.

So there you go. I had exactly the same injury and treatment as you and was allowed in. I don't know how severely your ligament was torn, but mine was well and truly rent asunder. Be persistent but polite with them. PM me if you want more from me, or to quote me as a precedent as I thoroughly sympathize. Be patient as I haven't 'done' PMs before.

Good luck chap.