PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A319 hits turbulence
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2008, 22:33
CityofFlight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's what I found on-line with some PAX comments. AP press is still reporting turbulence even though PAX mentions computer failure.

Air Canada flight AC190, carrying 88 people, was en route from Victoria, British Columbia, to Toronto and was diverted to Calgary for the emergency landing, officials said.

"It landed safely at 8:30 a.m. with a request for medical units to meet the aircraft to injuries on board the aircraft," he said.

Ambulances surrounded the jet and paramedics and tended to the injured.

Stuart Brideaux of Calgary Emergency Medical Services said 10 people were taken to a hospital, including six who are in stable condition. Four others suffered minor injuries, he said.

Earlier, Brideaux said nine had minor injuries. He said he may have misspoke earlier and that the 10 injured have been confirmed by the hospital, ambulance service and airline.

Air Canada said the preliminary passenger list indicates the Airbus A319 was carrying 83 passengers and five crew members.

"All of a sudden there were three big drops," passenger Andrew Evans said. "One major drop and then two more that went `Oomph! Oomph!' And the plane rolled a bit after that.

"I was in the very, very front seat of the plane and was watching dishes fly through the air," Evans said. "There was a crash. The cart tipped over and there was a lot of squealing.

"It was over and done with in 10 or 15 seconds," said Evans, who was on his way to Washington, D.C.

Passenger Jayne Harvey said the plane dropped sharply, then rolled left and right as the pilots fought to bring it under control.

The pilots came on the intercom "and said they were flying manually and that the computer had been knocked out," she said.

"I thought that that was it for me," said the Ontario nurse, who added she was "incredibly scared" as the plane bucked and rolled.

One female passenger who was not identified told media at the airport that when the plane hit the turbulence, her friend "flew up and hit the ceiling and went back down."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.