PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crazy Approaches
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2008, 04:57
empacher48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Certainly good fun some days would be Glentanner (NZGT), get a good South West wind up top, the wind funnels down the Tasman Valley to Lake Pukaki, which is fine - straight down 33 at 30 knots, then add the wind also funnelling out the Twin Stream (the 33 threshold is almost right in the middle of mouth of that valley), so you can be landing with 30 knots on the nose, then without warning 30 knots plus across just as you're about to touchdown.

It is also the only aerodrome I have seen a windsock limp at the mast, then stand out at 90 degrees to the mast, then spin a 360 degree clockwise windchange in about 30 seconds, steady, then a 360 degree windchange anti clockwise in 30 seconds, then go limp.

I have also got airbourne from Glentanner in a 207 with just me on board, climbed to about 200' by mid runway length, then while holding full power, 10 degrees flap, the aircraft descended (while holding best angle of climb speed), back on to the runway about 75% length, then back into the air.

All good fun - and keeps you on your toes!! But 95% of the time, it is a predictable easy aerodrome, 5% of the time it can be a good workout! But I realise there can be worse places out there some others have flown into and out of!