PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the standard price usually for a PPL(H)?
Old 9th Jan 2008, 20:26
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private Heli Licence

Hallo out there ... Perhaps some notes from a fairly experienced FI will help our newcomer heli pilots.

I'm virtually retired from full time instruction now, but checking through my log going back to the mid 1970s, I find I've trained 164 pilots from scratch to the PPL (H) standard. In the early years the CAA syllabus for an 'approved' school - was 35 hours with a five hour reduction for a PPL A holder. I particularly recall training a fix wing potato farmer from the wilds of Norfolk in 30 hours and ten flying days.

At the other end of the scale, I have a few pilots who went to 100 hours at which point I stopped taking their money. Oddly enough, one was an Enstrom purchaser who on his first day's training actually said to his nearest ... If I do well today I might be able to bring the heli back home tonight! (true)

A few ppruners will know I run a helicopter scholarship for youngsters and the last three winners qualified as follows. Zoe Spain - 48 hours in 24 flying days. Hannah Nobbs - 46 hours in 27 flying days and Georgie Dixon to completion of solo qualifying cross country standard in 49 hours and 24 flying days to date.

My training records show, there are dozens of pilots who have completed the CAA course in under four weeks.

Now the interesting thing about most of these is they were all able to undertake a concentrated course flying 2 to 3 hours a day on a six day week basis over four weeks or so and in the summer.

Added to this, I'd like to think I take my pilots to a standard fairly well beyond the basic CAA syllabus, (at least 20 or so student flown full stop engine off landings to the ground, and when hours and time permit, a selection of tail rotor failures, nicely developed Vortex Ring and and the other likely emergencies.

I would emphasise that the helicopter used has been the Hughes/Schweizer/Sikorsky 300 and I don't think I could replicate the above results in an R22, although I'm sure the really experienced guys can.

However in common with our training industry, the bulk of my clients training over a longer period flying perhaps one or two hours each week, will almost always require the oft quoted 50-60 hours plus.

So what I will say to our very welcome newcomers is - especially those on a set budget ... try to arrange your PPL(H) course on a continuous flying basis and given a reasonable level of aptitude and dedication to the task, it is possible to get the licence in around £13,000 to £15,000 including VAT.

You do need to establish a good 'rapport' with your FI and contrary to what has been suggested on this thread, I believe it is important to be trained by one instructor if possible. Multiple instructors ... a definite 'yes' - but AFTER you have obtained the basic licence.

A further aspect, I'd like to mention is ... the aptitude test.

A specific trial lesson with the CFI at your local school can reveal all. But you need to make it clear you are seeking some idea of your flying aptitude and an assessment of your hours requirement. This will change the nature of the trial lesson you receive, which should be at least one hour.

There's no guarantee of course, but an experienced instructor can usually give you some flying hours requirement for the PPL(H) and guidance to help with your budgetting.

A few months ago, I produced an article for the aviation LOOP newspaper on the subject .... 'Choosing a helicopter school' There's plenty of tips there to help with your choice of a school. See www.loop.aero. Subscription is free!

Finally a few words on helmets. Well every kind of sense says a solid 'Yes' but we are in a commercial business and I'd not be too happy to jump aboard a BA triple seven to see the flight crew donned in flame proof suits and bone domes.

As has been said here, we pilots don't wear survival clothing when we drive and I take the view the same principle must apply to our private flying.

Luckily or otherwise, I haven't suffered an engine failure in almost 40 years and 13,000 flying hours, so neither am I prepared to spend the next forty years or so studiously avoiding the height/velocity curve on every take off and landing, which H/V curve by the way is neither a 'dead man's curve nor an 'avoid area'

For we private flyers ... it is "The area of extra caution"

Look at it that way and fly it that way.

Oh and just to finally say ... the above is not a punt for new students as I am booked for 2008, but is offered as a help to our new fliers. The future of our wonderful industry.

Take care all ...

Dennis Kenyon.