PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did the pilot originally scheduled to fly [i]that[/i] Concorde refuse?
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 12:46
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
BEagle,

Quite right! Blame is, in itself, irrelevant. But my concern is that the real lessons of this accident (or indeed any accident) should be reflected in the report, since otherwise, it will be of less value. (I'm convinced that the much of the value of accident reports is in acting as general object lessons for other aircrew, almost as much in highlighting specific weaknesses or problems which need to be addressed for the type, airline or aircrew involved in the specific incident being reported. If the report glosses over the dangers of taking off downwind, overweight, with a c of g outside limits, with a missing undercarriage spacer and a flight engineer who shuts down engines on his own initiative, at the drop of a hat, these may not be fully appreciated. The aviation community might assume that that could never happen, and instead think: 'Better watch the runway carefully for bits of broken lawnmower - what's that - an eight knot tailwind - no I'm sure that won't matter - but are you sure this jet's got the new tank liner? How much baggage went on? Should have checked earlier, but .... I'm sure it'll be alright - what are you doing there engineer....'

I know it's too serious to joke about, but you get the idea, I'm sure.