PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did the pilot originally scheduled to fly [i]that[/i] Concorde refuse?
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 09:50
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
We have to remember, of course, that the primary requirement of the investigation is not to apportion blame, but to establish the facts surrounding the accident.
However, one cannot help but to draw certain conclusions from the ATOW, the wind value used for calculation of RTOW and the actual wind velocity, 090/08, which was passed to the crew when they were cleared for take-off.
Would anyone, knowing that the wind velocity was so different to that assumed at the planning stage, not at least pause to confirm that this had not affected RTOW and V1? It's one of the basic exercises we throw at our students in the simulator; hence last week when I knew that we were late and that RW26 was in use, when I asked the crew to check whether we could use the much closer RW08, the answer was immediate - at the weight we were at, we could accept a 10kt tailwind and V1 would change from 117kt to 116kt. So we did!