PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 day check - logged as P1 or PUT?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2008, 11:55
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
llanfairpg,

No it is not the Blackpool one. I can't remember now but I think that it was one where a pilot completed a trip they were not qualified to do and brought along a flight instructor who I think has less experience and claimed that the FI was pilot in command. Perhps you may remember the case but the outcome is that since the unqualified pilot completed everything and did everything on the flight and the instructor took no part in the pre-flight planning or authorisation then the instructor was not pilot in command.

As for the Tipsy, have not given it much tought however, my first idea would be that a type rating is not required for the tipsy and so an SEP rating would have to be obtained in the normal way using and aircraft with dual controls.

I think that it is only microlight training and testing for the NPPL with Microlight Rating that can still be done in single seat aircraft. In that case, the instructor briefs, observes and de-briefs the very small slow steps through the course. The test is again observed as far as I am aware but I have not come across anyone who does that form of training.

--------

Bookworm,

The law also mentions the person who for time being is the owner of the aircraft. I don't think that you can change owner in mid-flight!

In order for the pilot in command to change mid-flight then both pilots would have to have completed all the pre-flight planning and checking and both would have the option to say that the flight will not go ahead. After all, if you are going to be responsible will you let some other person make the safety decisions?

The other question arrises at the change over time. Two things can happen - the current pilot in command refuses to hand over command as is their right. or the first pilot hands over command 30 seconds before the breach of the low flying regulations.

The Hamiltons may have been unable to remember exactly which was driving as the broke the law while passing a speed camera but do you think that the CAA would permit such a get-out from a pilot who departed on a flight as pilot in command and where the aircraft subsequently breached the low flying rules?

Honnest, I handed over command while at 3000ft AGL...........No he never handed over command.........Yes I did .........No he didn't.........

Regards,

DFC