PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 day check - logged as P1 or PUT?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2008, 12:29
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...and NONE of the above in LASORS is of any use whatsoever for those of us carrying out 'club' checkouts. Note 3 is all about a/c requiring 2 or more crew. I feel the CAA have badly let us down here. We need proper rules from our Regulator. The purpose of a club checkout is to maintain and enhance safety, so surely SRG want us to conduct these in a sensible way with a consistent manner of recording the fact? They've even encouraged people to obtain the CRI to enable this to take place (well certain individuals at SRG have, anyway...)

I think they should say the following:

Day/VFR SEP flights.

A pilot in an a/c who is within the 90-day rule but is required by the owner/operator of the aircraft to undertake a more stringent flight check can either:

a) conduct the flight as P1. The other front seat occupant of the aircraft for ANO purposes is a passenger; despite any advice that may be offered during the course of the light. The other front seat occupant cannot make any logbook entry that suggests they had anything to do with manipulating the controls.

b) conduct the flight as Pu/t. The other front seat occupant must be a suitably, currently rated CRI or FI (or FIE etc) and must log the flight as P1.

c)any pilot who is outside the 90-day rule MUST either fly solo as P1 or with a suitably qualified CRI, FI etc and log the flight as Pu/t.

Will the CAA ever come out and lay the above down (or any variation/deviation that they might think fit?) No, of course not! They will claim that it's outside their terms of reference. Personally, I disagree, I think it's inside and they ought to do something.

Re insurance. ALL our policy says is that our a/c is covered for 'Club' use and then goes on to define what 'Club' means. There's nothing about restrictions requiring checks. We manage that amougst ourselves, very well.

At the school where I work, a hirer won't get access to the aircraft keys unless they meet the local requirements anyway, so no possibility of flying without the owner's consent so insurance remains valid.

Now, as I've said above, sometimes I'll sit in with a friend so that they can comply with our local club rules and let them log P1 and I won't trouble my logbook. A scenario here might be that they need their 6 hours P1 in their
2nd year and this might save them from having to do a test with an Examiner. OR, they might ring me up and say 'I haven't flown our a/c for 6 weeks 'cos the wx has been lousy' and I'll say 'fill yer boots, just fly' without a check as they've got several thousand hours SEP and 10,000 hours on passenger jets!

TheOddOne