PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross check chucked
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2008, 08:38
Juud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaverFlaver
Arming and disarming a door, it's not exactly rocket science.
At first on glance, a valid if smart alec and superfluous remark.
And yet Raver..... if it was a simple as you make it out to be, why do we world wide have a regular stream of inadvertently blown slide incidents?
On all types, all airlines, blown by FAs with completely different backgrounds, with different lengths & types of training, working with and without the cross check?
It is not as straightforward as you make it out to be, not at all.

As to the subject of the thread, what would be really interesting is to compare the incidence of ISDs with and without the cross check procedure.
I donīt know if that comparison has ever been made, does anybody here know if those numbers are available?

On a personal note, like Baade, I have cracked a 737 door with the slide bar still in the floor fittings. I managed to close it again before the slide inflated, so the slide didnīt inflate.
The thing is, we do use the cross check procedure. But my buddy had had the same artrociously long day and didnīt spot it.

Personally, and without having any numbers to back it up, I doubt the the added value of the cross check.
I think that to solve the problem, more training, less blaming and a dose of new thinking is required.

Interesting thread Baade152.