PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did the pilot originally scheduled to fly [i]that[/i] Concorde refuse?
Old 21st Aug 2001, 19:35
gordonroxburgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Marty was alway scheduled to fly the service.

What was not originaly scheduled was for F-BTSC to make the flight. F-BVFA was set to do the morning flight to JFK with F-BVFC designated for AF4590. Overnight probems meant that F-BVFA was withdrawn and F-BVFC flew the AF 001 and F-BTSC, as the standby aircraft was brought in to fly AF4590. F-BVFC was then left stranded for 2months at JFK when Air France suspended operations after the accident. (I think F-BVFB had already taken off from JFK and was possibly in transit when the accident occured, can someone confirm?)

There are lots of bits and pieces flying around that add to the cause. I personnaly believe that some of them did not help matters, but with the damage that was done by the original tyre bust they were still heading for a bad day.

Yes, if they had wieghed a little less and not shut down the engine so soon they may have made it to a very heavy crash landing at Le bourget, but with the fire causing the different systems to fail and along with the parts of the aircraft sturcture that were falling from the aircraft due to this initial tyre burst and its aftermath would have made making Le Bouget a very big challenge.