PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To van or not to van that is the question
Old 7th Jan 2008, 15:18
south coast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981, under JAR we don not have a silly rule where your sic times is only counted as half (why should it, were you only there for half of the time?).

Therefore, 200 hours plus 3 years of 900 hours a year would equal 2900 hours of which 2700 is on that type and you would be holding an ATPL too.

However, there are slightly different requirements in 'opening' one's ATPL, ie. a Multi Pilot type rating is required, plus 500 hours Multi-crew time.

As for Cathay and Emirates(EK require 4000 hours total and that is a lot of contract flying), they may well have a high level of ex-contract guys working for them(95%), but that is not because those companies especially like people who did that type of flying, it is because they met the requirements and passed the interview and selection process, and contract flying is one of the most common routes to gaining experience in southern Africa, so most South Africans will have some contract time in their logbook.

Dont get me wrong, contract flying is a great experience and good fun, but it is nothing more than a delay in getting into a 'proper' company with the markets the way they are in the UK and Europe.

I thought the guy should at least hear another point of view from someone who has done the contract flying thing and then come back to the UK. (other than the odd question about what flying in Africa was like during an interview, it is not like companies think it is valuable time over and above any other type of flying- just my experience)