PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2008, 13:06
Sk1high

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read this site for a long time and never felt the need to make a posting until now.
When I joined Vaa in 1994, like many others I thought it would be for a year or two of fun and then I would return to a "profession". I took the drop in salary etc. for the life style. Now as a part time single parent Fsm, flying is my profession. I manage to support my family with the help of Working family tax credit. The pay deals that were offered would have made no difference what so ever to my monthly income as the WFTC would have just been reduced. I am not alone in my situation.
Throughout the ballot process I voted no. The main thing I wanted to see was increments within my rank. I have no wish to go into the office and I stiil feel I have a lot to offer online. As a manager of upto seventeen crew with five years experience in rank I feel I'm not asking for too much.
When speaking to Vaa management I was informed the company offered increments to senior ranks and it was rejected. When talking to Amicus reps I was lead to believe it was the company who rejected increments.
Throughout the last year, due to the mishandling of the situation by both sides, I have just become more disillusioned with both Vaa and my union.
When I received the ballot paper for strike action the decision to reject a strike was not an easy one to make. I could not in good conscience vote for something that I felt would be to the detriment of all concerned.
For all of the postings of "what ifs" and "should haves" on this site and others lets not forget the most important thing. The small number of our friends and colleagues who are rostered trips on Wednesday and have to make the difficult decision on what their actions will be. I hope whatever they decide it is a personal informed choice, and not because of pressures brought by either side.