PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2008, 10:11
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buoy15

Thank you so much for that, but I don't ever recall mentioning 'rust' at all, only corrosion. Of course you're quit right, in that when alloy corrodes it forms a powder residue, (just like the stuff that covered most of the XV246 airframe actually when it was at Waddo!)

As for your comment regarding certification, I think that probably answers most peoples questions about why we didn't go for a 'new' aircraft. Is it fair to assume therefore that by 'modifying' existing airframes, it has negated the need for BAes to do a 'full certification' of the aircraft? hmmm, how interesting. I wonder where the cut off line is between a 'new build' (as keeps getting banded about for the MR4) and a 'mod' to an existing airframe?

It sounds like a very good (cheap) deal for BAe and a pretty pi$$ poor deal for the customer, especially with the well-documented fiasco of the differences with each frame/wing assembly. I suppose that all the MR4's will now be a bit of a 'hotch potch' affair will they?

Lastly, if this now means that you guys get your new jet earlier - how long do you think it would have taken had BAe had NOT gone for the 'cheap mod' option?? This decade possibly?

TSM