PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2008, 08:58
scoobydooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greigkok

I haven't really got time or the inclination to comment on every post here, neither do I wish to 'argue' with any poster as you put it, I will however debate and discuss issues.

As for becoming a rep, I am toying with the idea and was just yesterday wondering what I would put in my manifesto.

Stating, that the 2nd strike wont go ahead as the first will be full of strike breakers is speculation, nothing more, nothing less.

I always try and look at a situation from all perspectives, a few posts back I put the "company hat" hat on and looked at what they are trying to achieve and possible ways in doing this. I dont pretend to have all or indeed any of the answers but we both know that it take both sides willing to negotiate if there will ever be any progress made. We must ask ourselves do we think both sides are prepared to talk at the moment ? I for one know the union is prepared to avoid passenger disruption and its' doors are open, however it would appear the company is not and is more than happy to disrupt the passengers by engaging in a game of 'hardball'.

So with all the best will in the world if the union made some radical changes improving communication with its members and all sorts of other things, it would be a lot of wasted resource if the company has no intention whatsoever in actually trying to fix any of the many problems that exist, I haven't even heard the company acknowledge there are any problems to us directly or through the union, a bit like an ostrich with its head buried deep.

Paul, I thank you for all your efforts over the years and the work you have put in to help the union achieve the recognition it has to date. You are clearly a man of integrity which is why you felt that you could not suddenly change your tune, trying to convince and recommending people accept the offers put forward by the union (even if perhaps you didn't agree with them personally, but as a rep had to tow the union line), then having to stand at the same checkin and say to the same faces now is the time to strike.

Paul may I ask if it shocked you the outcome to the last pay vote ?

Paul has also indicated that circa 1000 members did not cast a vote in all 5 votes, from this we could almost say that it is the 'norm' to have 1000 votes abstaining from voting for whatever reason and as such should maybe discount/write these off from our overall interpretations of the outcome. Whilst this is enormously frustrating for everyone we can learn from this, and moving forward try to engage the importance of every single voting right to our members through more regular communications, it is only through educating and informing the union members how important their votes are and that they will actually make a difference that things will change, otherwise it will be the norm to have circa 1000 votes non returned for ever more.

As for Paul being approached by members who said they will vote for industrial action, whilst also indicating they will come to work, I am disappointed. However that said after all sorts of rumours that certain influential parties were being offered cash to try and get a company favourable outcome of the vote perhaps people felt the path of least resistance was to say they will be going to work.

Who knows, only time will tell and come 3 days time we can stop speculating and will know what the real picture is. I still feel that the company stating to pax and press that only 3 of its services will be disrupted is setting itself up for a fall, if 4 services are disrupted does that make the company look silly? never mind 5,6 10 etc etc

Paul, what impact do you feel there will be on the union and any future negotiations and union representation moving forward if crew do not stick together and carryout the strike dates ? editeded to add Indeed do you agree with the strikes or is it a further reason for your resignation ?

Paul, I wish you all the best and if you would like to p.m. to discuss feel free.

I further refer people to the post vs_lhr made pointing to http://www.v-flyer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22443&whichpage=12 frankipans pots on v-flyer explaining clearly the errors of ways both sides have made in this whole debacle.

Last edited by scoobydooo; 6th Jan 2008 at 09:16.