PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair landings
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2008, 05:30
rmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC, thanks for the thread link earlier in this one. I note that Tight Slot closed the other thread as "getting heated" due to the presentation of a little hard evidence by an "unqualified" passenger on the number of landing accidents experienced by Ryanair.

One of the things which tends to confuse me is the attempt to mystify the concept of motor skills and muscle memory (including funnily enough the bottom cheeks of a regular pax). In the same way that a pilot gaining experience can judge a physical effect and adjust it, a frequent pax can learn to tell the difference between a positive landing and a carrier deck one, for which I understand carrier aircraft have specially strengthened gear compared to their land based sisters.

I fly from an airfield which is used regularly by Ryanair, and have noticed that their movements about the field tend to be a little rushed compared to the other operators. The culture of an organisation can be quite pervasive, and if the culture at Ryanair is "on time at all costs" mission focused, and this may be contributing to rough handling of the aircraft, then the circle can only be broken by outside comment, accepted at face value by the professionals at the front end, who are after all only human.

While pprune is a wonderful site, I have unfortunately witnessed rather a lot of professional preciousness and a fairly condescending approach to non-pilot contributors, even those who are quite measured in their comments.

"Methinks thou dost protest too much.........."

rmac