PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2008, 01:05
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chaps/esses

getting your first job is a process. Find ways to fly other peoples planes - if you are sitting there saying "there are no jobs" and at the same time dont know the names of all the aerial photographic, banner towing, para dropping, glider towing, etc organisations then you are not putting in the effort that justifies spending the money on your licence. Its good to get a flying instruction rating, especially at the moment because you can get paid quite well to do it, but be aware that you dont teach people to fly so that you can accumulate hours. You do it to help people learn to fly and you will be crap at it if you think it simply fills your log book.
Some people do get lucky, some people get jobs through friends and family, but thats not how I did it and its not how most of the guys I know did it. A good friend of mine is an actor. He and I both have jobs that many other people would really like to have and both of us have scraped and clawed our way into these careers. He did years of community type theatre, I did almost 9000 take-offs and landing pulling gliders into the sky.
I read every single CV that I am sent and I reply if I can even if I can't offer anything. I towed gliders for 3 years before I got my CPL in 2000 and got my first job in 2004 (which cost me more to get to than I earned). I'm now fleet manager of a business jet company with 6 aircraft and 4 more due this quarter.
Its a great job, its worth wading through a lot of **** for, and I wish everyone that's trying to make it work out the very best of luck. I'll try to help specific problems but please dont bombard me - fairly busy nowadays..