PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR privatisation
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2008, 00:14
keepin it in trim

Apache for HEMS - Strafe those Survivors!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
given that chc are operating S92 and AB139 for MCA, I would guess their bid will be that, commonality and experience of the types. Bristows have a couple of 225s at Abz, and lots of experience operating the L2 in the North Sea environment (and G-Jsar was theirs) so I think they might bid with that as part of their combination. Lockhead are involved with providing the 101 for the US presidential helo so I think they may be offering that, especially given that chc and bristow do not already operate the type.

139 should be a good choice for a shorter range aircraft, the USCG did a study of their rescue stats a couple of years ago and came out with a figure of 3 as the average number of people rescued in a single event. Yes we could have an arguement about what capability you should aim for, but if you accept that a mix of 2 types carries some benefits, and finances are not infinite, then a highly capable, smaller, shorter range aircraft is probably appropriate for some locations. The key is to get the basing mix of long and short range types right. A lot of work was done on this in the past using historical data on rescues, so it should not be beyond the wit of man.

As to the longer range type, the S92 and 225 would possibly be better in the overland role, the 101 is a big beast and while very nice to fly, I am led to believe that like many rigid/semi-rigid heads, it is a hard ride in turbulence. The L2 seems to be doing an effective job for Bond on Jigsaw, so I see no reason for the 225 not to work, also S92 is now online for MCA, so CHC should have a good feel for how that is working now.

My major concern about the 101, and perhaps one of our Canadian cousins could shed some light, is position of the hoist, the door is a LONG way back, the aircraft hovers very nose up, which increases in stronger winds because of the nature of the moveable staiblizer (so I am told), I know this caused some issues when the canadians first took them on, especially as westland mounted the hoist at the rear of the door (allegedly for structural reasons, despite being told by various prospective customers that this was not the best location). Put a very heavy helo with intense downwash over a small boat in a rough sea with the hoist a long way behind the pilot and the front end are not going to see the target at all, (equals no hover references and a high hover). The AHT had better be good, along with the winch ops!

Personally I think a combination of either S92 or 225 with AB139 probably offers the best mix, allowing a sensible mix of range and payload for both longer and shorter range types. Don't know if this helps any of Jacko's questions, but there you go.

I have been out of the SAR world for a few years now, but I greatly enjoyed my time there. I just hope that whatever is chosen works out well for those who will end up operating it, enjoy