PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2008, 13:23
vs_lhr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post vs_lhr, I agree with you 100% - (I didn't pick myself up off the floor, so now you are down here with me as you have just hit it too - people will talk )
Rolling around on the floor with Scooby. Could be fun. Hey, I ain't gonna knock it until I've tried it...

I was reading a few long posts on V-Flyer today, starting about a third of the way down page 12 with frangipan's summary SRB's letter and where both crew and management have miss-stepped. A longer post on the same page, again by frangipan, is to my mind, one of the best summaries of management mistakes. Things we all kind of knew where happening around us, but never before have I seen such clarity in thought and it's an eye-opening read that I recommend you have a look at.

Now, back to rolling around on the floor with Scooby.

Your plan is reasonably good, although I think you have to be realistic and rule out getting anything in 2007. The negotiation is over. Both sides are too strong headed to want to give in - no matter how much cooing we do from the sidelines. Taking it to a strike has cost everyone dearly, and I still believe the fault lies squarely at the feet of the union who were recommending deals they didn't get a mandate for. As far as I can tell, the company goal is now to crush the strike and that means zilch for crew in terms of negotiations this year.

All those who are still advocating a strike, I really am at a lost to understand what you think that will achieve. As you can see, VS aren't going to move at all. This will just mean lost earnings for you and an excuse for no rises long into the future. As others have said, unfair as it may seem, I wouldn't be surprised if strikers where just 'managed' out of the company.

The union have failed you, and are leading you into a no-win situation. Why not simply abandon them and tell your managers that you have no faith in Boyd but need a deal to avoid action. Then send Scooby in to represent you. That'd sort it out