PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod families angry at OBE
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2008, 10:19
Distant Voice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1879, twelve VC's were awarded after the action at Rorke's Drift, not purely "For Valour", but to mask the screw up by the British Army at Isandhlwana the day before. Nothing has changed, whether it be Isandhlwana, the Charge of the Little Brigade or the loss of an aircraft, the War Office/MoD have the ability to convert tragedy into glory.

I do not know Martin Cannard, but I suspect that he held the squadron together, like any other good OC, because he was there. With regards to being ".. specifically recognised for his work with the families for supporting them and providing help and welfare", then that is for the families to react to, and comment on. No one else knows the manner in which they have been supported the past 14 months, and by whom.

Peolpe like Graham, Shona and other family members have given their honest reaction and opinion to the OBE award, and have done so as themselve, in public. They have not resorted to nasty comments from behind a pprune mask.

Please let us put this issue to rest and allow the families to focus their efforts on the future inquest without having to be subjected to the sort of comments that have been posted on this thread.

To Graham and Shona, I say, pprune is not "the world". It is one of many forums, which simply reflects the views of a very, very small minority of peolpe. Many of whom are afraid to come out of the shadows, unlike you.

DV