PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2008, 08:26
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedbrakes - we have more in common than you may think.
For info I don't work in security nor at NCL.

I agree with your points and, as previously posted, this all goes back to Lockerbie, the 'troubles' and our Politicians inability to admit that their reaction at that time was a kneejerk that is long overdue review.

Legislating the requirement for airside passes without a co-ordinated approach across the UK; i.e. allowing each individual airport to set up their own system, was crass and we are still suffering from that decision.

The lack of consitency at airports is due to the way in which the regulations are written and then enforced by DfT inspectors. I've experienced a 'clean' audit followed one day later by a 'random' visit in which a list of failures were notified. The inspectors then spent 3 weeks arguing as to who's interpretation of the regulations was correct - we were left not knowing whether we were legal or not for this time; subject to prosecution, closure etc.

Re common airside passes - you should try working on the ground at multiple UK airports as I used to. Air Crew passes would have been a joy! Took it to the then DoT, MP's, the Minister responsible, the Airport Operators' Committee and got a lot of sympathetic noises, lots and lots of navel gazing and no action. There is just no will to sort this out as someone would have to admit that their Department had made mistakes.

I've always found NCL to be one of the more responsive airports to work with but agree that their current 'pass' machine could do with renewing.