PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spotters released on bail
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2001, 03:10
daidalos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not posting my personal opinion, for obvious reasons :-) I'll just quote the letter, that I read in a newspaper.
By the way, we do have a strong relation with the ancient Hellenes my friend, like it or not
But that's a completely another issue, irrelevant in this case!
Enjoy ...

"
Paying the penalty

IN REPLY to Mr Harley's ridiculous letter (November 30) about the British plane spotters held in Greece: I am British, live in the UK and I am not appalled by the action of the Greek authorities. The plane spotters broke the rules, now they must pay the penalty. I have visited Greek airfields on a number of occasions.

Signs are clearly posted stating "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" in Greek and English. Mr Harley thinks that these can be ignored because the information is available on the internet. He also thinks that as RAF airfields allow some photography, the same rules should apply in Greece. This is nonsense.

It is true that there is a lot of information on the internet. So what? The inside of Buckingham Palace is on the internet. Does this mean we can all break in to photograph it?

I am sure that anyone attempting to take photographs in a restricted zone on a British base would almost certainly be arrested. Imagine if someone went onto an American airfield that states "No Unauthorised personnel beyond this point" and argued with USAF Security that "It's OK, I'm British".

When I am in Greece and I see a road speed limit that says 60 km/h, I would need to be pretty stupid to say "But in Britain its 120km/h so I will go faster". This is exactly what Mr Harley is suggesting.

As a Briton, I am embarrassed at these plane-spotting idiots trying to be clever. They are no better than the drunken tourists who earn Britain a bad reputation across the world. I am sure that the Greek authorities will eventually get tired of having to feed these morons and release them, but I hope that they are banned from Greece for life.

Rob Allwright

London

"