PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No more IMC rating
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 21:27
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you find this position reasonable, or should we turn back at the first sign of reduced visibility?
Imagine actually teaching a student that it is good to make an early decision to turn back because of poor weather ahead and actually showing them how it can happen and how it is done.

No No No......you must press on and get their money today! today! not tomorrow. While grabbing their money you ensure that they get a good dose of your press-on itis and they will probably be faced with their first ever retreat from bad weather after they get their licence.

Do as I say not as I do is alive and well in UK instruction.

---------

Another problem with the whole.........you can not tour widely unless you have an IMC rating or the IO540 version of I would not have toured so widely without the IMC prior to getting the IR -

If the IMC is only valid in the UK then how did those who had it and found it so valuable for touring the far flung corners of Europe get value from something that they could not use.

Does not mention of vast touring in areas where the IMC was not valid (Le Touquet traffic figures must provide great evidence) coupled with the monthly VFR touring stories in all the UK flying mags work against an argument that the IMC is essential for such flying?

The basic JAR-PPL can fly VFR over 8/8 cloud cover with no ground contact. It is only the UK that puts restrictions on a PPL with respect to in sight of the surface at all times etc. Do you expect a pan-european licence to have such a limitation or one that required 10K vis for special VFR?

Thus again some of the reasons for the VFR pilot having an IMC would evaporate.

------

Dublin Pilot,

Club established in the 70s. You are around for the past 3 years and you think that period is suficient to gauge the extent of VFR touring? Even you admit to having toured Spain as a VFR pilot and you sem to have made it safely back.

----------

Honnestly, I can not see how a petition to the local council along with much complaining from a few residents of Newcastle would cause much of a tremor in the Westminster parliment or the CAA............heck they even walked all the way to London to make their point on an issue some years back and were still ignored.

No replace Newcastle with UK, Westminster with European and CAA with EASA and you will see that little has changed since the Jarrow march.

Can't see that UK AOPA representative Martin what's his name walking far.

Regards,

DFC