PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod families angry at OBE
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 18:33
DFM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A most deserved OBE

Let us not be surprised or dismayed by the standard of this latest news item from the tabloid press, and irrespective of the comments from Mr Knight, I still wonder if others have been misquoted in the same appalling fashion as Shona?

In the meantime, I have to say that anybody who genuinely thinks Wg Cdr Martin Cannard doesn’t deserve some form of recognition for the outstanding leadership, compassion and integrity he has displayed as OC 120 Sqn, are either totally ignorant of the facts, or choosing to selectively overlook them. Irrespective of the terrible tragedy that has unfolded, he has lead the day to day running of a front line Sqn in a manner that very few of his peers could have equalled. Everyone involved over this period has had to deal with extremely complicated, demanding and sensitive issues, non-more so than he and on an almost daily basis; this award in part reflects that.

As said previously, I have stopped being surprised or dismayed at media conjecture, misquotes, half-truths and total lies. However, I would be saddened greatly if this latest piece of journalistic license meant the feelings of the vast majority are overlooked. Everyone I have spoken to about this subject believes the outstanding guidance and support Martin Cannard provided should be recognised formally. I also have to say that in all my years in the Service, this is without doubt an award that has the greatest of merit. Therefore, I for one want to warmly congratulate him .