PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod families angry at OBE
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 16:26
moggiee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tappers Dad
It's very interesting.
I don't hear anyone complaining about Adele Squires saying "Cannard doesn't deserve this. He should never have been given it."
No its lets have a go a Tapper's Dad the grieving father.
Perhaps, Mr Knight, it's not so much what you said as the way in which you said it. Perhaps it's also because you appear to have had a another bash at Wg Cdr Cannard in the second article, whereas Adele squires has not (and indeed Shona Beattie has corrected the Record's misquote).

Have you been misquoted by the Record? Or are the words attributed to you correct? If you have been misquoted, then you have an opportunity to put us all straight.

No-one questions your grief and pain - we have all lost people dear to us during our lifetimes (but obviously not all of us in such tragic circumstances). However, I would ask you to remember this: OC CXX did NOT kill your son - that blame lies with the errors and omissions made people higher up the chain of command. The circumstances of this tragedy (I won't call it an accident) are shocking, but Wg Cdr Cannard is not to blame.

If the posts here accurately reflect the facts, it appears that OC CXX has done his best to help and comfort the bereaved, sharing (as much as any non-family member can) their pain. His OBE is reward for his efforts as a counsellor, support worker and shoulder to cry on - all roles which go above and beyond his normal remit as a CO.

If there is any justice, all 14 of the crew members on this aeroplane will receive posthumous recognition of their sacrifice - the fact that OC CXX has been given this award in no way denigrates the memory of your son and his colleagues.

EDIT: please note that the two previous posts were made whilst I was typing and did not influence what I have written above.