PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 08:40
Digitalis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice film synopsis - but it was 'Bugs Life', not 'Ants'! Oh, the pleasures of parenthood - I get to be an expert on kids' films!

VCCM, I don't think anyone here is disagreeing that our CC deserve greater reward. I strongly get the feeling, however, that most CC don't appreciate just exactly what the deal agreed by the Union actually represented in percentage terms. It most certainly wasn't a bare 4.8%. Yes, I know that even the 8.5% to 10.5% increase (depending on rank) that had been due to be paid from April 2008 did not wholly address the problem, but it would have been a bloody good start - and, with unity and coherent leadership, a good Union would have been able to achieve much more over the next few years. Sadly, your Union was not up to the job. That's not your fault, nor is it the Company's (their job will always be to keep costs down to maximise profit). It is the Union's fault. That is where you should direct your anger; they have failed you, and they are continuing to fail you by advocating a strike that has no clear objective.

Incidentally, we should clear up any misconception about the difference between what pilots receive for an LA (or any other flight) and what CC get. A very significant proportion of pilots' pay is productivity- and profit-related. That is, they are paid in proportion to the flying hours achieved (up to a contractural limit of 750 hours annually, or more under certain individual agreements), at a rate that is in part determined by the company's profitability - and therefore it's highly likely to reduce next year! It is not 'extra' pay as it is fully pensionable. Hence any flight attracts Flying Hours Pay in direct proportion to the time spent in the air. A similar deal for CC was rejected by the Union, I understand. But I doubt they asked you about that!

Originally Posted by 016FSM
Hey Raffles, I see where your coming from and the reason most of us stuck our heels in was because we were following in your footsteps when flight deck said "the money or we strike" and you got the money!!
Not true. The pilots never threatened to strike. They simply showed a united, educated and implacable front to the Company, and demonstrated exactly why it would benefit the Company to come up with a deal to satify their demands. There was never any threat to strike. but, equally, there was never any doubts that had such a threat been made it would have carried the weight of unity and clear intent.

As for the CC strike days themselves, no picket lines will be allowed inside the airport area. That applies to any workgroup, not just Virgin, and will be enforced by the Police. Whether it applies to BAA-run car parks, I'm not sure, but you can be certain that no-one will be impeded if they intend to work on the strike days. The atmosphere among those who do work is likely to be very upbeat and fun. I am certainly looking forward to working during the strike - should it hold, which I suspect it won't.

Last edited by Digitalis; 3rd Jan 2008 at 08:58.