PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod families angry at OBE
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 08:00
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Firstly, a very happy New year to you all. I sincerely hope that 2008 sees a satisfactory conclusion to this appalling incident and those involved can find peace at last.

I hope you will permit me to say just a few words in a kind of defence of Graham Knight, Tappers Dad.

I think the thing that has upset him the most about this is that he see's someone effectively 'profiting' from the loss of XV230, in that the OC of CXX has been awarded an OBE, and that must be difficult for him to accept.

Graham Knight is not a vindictive man I am certain of that. He is just a father who has lost his son and he is, rightly in my opinion, angered by what was happening with the Nimrod fleet leading up to the loss of 230 and the events since the crash.

Whilst his comments may have been a little 'misguided and unfortunate' shall we say (and I haven't read exactly what he said) could I suggest that we cut him a bit of slack and try to understand how he must be feeling right now, knowing that the Boss of his son's squadron has just received a significant award as a result of the loss of one of his aircraft and crews? I think I might feel a little bit 'miffed' also if it were me.

For my part, I would also wish to offer OC CXX hearty congratulations on the award, together with everyone else on CXX. Those who have an OBE (and I am slightly embarrassed to say I have one also!) will know that it is but a simple recognition, NOT for just one persons efforts and hard work, but for a whole bunch of people, in this case all those on CXX. Well done to you all.

Yours Aye
The Winco