PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 11:48
016FSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginfun you really need to understand that you can't tar everyone with the same brush! I don't know what flights you've been doing but on my flights, you'll NEVER work 3 hours and then go and lie down for up to 4 in the crew rest, believe me!

Furthermore, I allocate breaks as per company procedure which is in 3 when it's a requirement. My concern is not the maximum amount of rest that I can give to the crew, but the quality of the service in the cabin and the safety of all onboard. If you're flying with people who's main concern is the maximum amount of time they can give to the crew to rest, then that's a very sad thought. My main concern is the passengers, I will always do my best to give the crew a break, but it certainly doesn't take precidence over the service we should be offering! Having said that, I have argued on here that the company should make proper provisions for crew rest, by insisting that we do it in 3, they have made it very dificult for us to arrange a decent amount of rest on some flights and that I feel is very unfair.

And with regard to paperwork, on average my paperwork takes me 40 minutes, the rest of the time I'm working in the cabin like everyone else, in the back, middle and front! I take a great deal of pride in my job and feel that I do it to the best of my capability. There is NOBODY on that aircraft who works any harder than me, there are many who work AS hard though and that's is why I feel that those who give 100% deserve to be paid decently.

I hear many people on here saying they give 100% to Virgin and they love their jobs, but if the main concern of so many crew and FSM's is the maximum amount of rest that the crew can get on a flight, then I certainly wouldn't say that either are doing such a good job! And by the way, if you go on a break that has been split into 2, you are as guilty as the FSM who arranged the breaks of breaching company procedure and if you as a cabin crew member are reported for taking the break, you will face the same disciplinary action as the FSM in question. Remember you never know who is watching you on the aircraft and you are responsible for you own actions. After this strike action if it goes ahead, the company will be looking very carefully to get rid of a few 'trouble makers' and if company procedures are not followed to the letter, do you think you won't be 'carrying the can' for your actions?

Next time you're on a flight and breaks in 2 are arranged, if you take so much pride in your job and feel you do it well, tell the FSM that they should be done in 3 as per company procedure, you may not be popular but you may just save your job if there's someone on that flight watching what the crew are doing!!