PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2007, 11:35
vs_lhr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have had many very newsworthy stories over the years but the press won't touch them and even this looming strike action has been minimally reported and mainly overshadowed by the BAA threatened strike. Well RB's appreciation letter attracted some press thankfully, one of the rare occassions that he wasn't seen as the golden eyed boss in the eyes of the public!
Interesting how different people can read a different spin on a story. The feel I got from the BBC story (and bearing in mind they're not offering a cabin crew 'voice', so it's more sided on Virgin's position) is that the crew are making unrealistic demands on the company. Rejecting a 4.8% deal that was worth 8.3%; Virgin won't be meeting "dangerous" pay demands; "A Virgin Atlantic spokesperson said that since the letter was sent, a number of union members had contacted management, offering to cross the picket line and work on the strike days." - this reads more in VS's favour than crew's to me. (I do note that the story appears to have had a minor update since it was first published)

It looks like the story (which I still believe originated from Scooby's post) has already had the hand of the Virgin PR empire on it. And this will just be the tip of the iceberg.