PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st International Air Show and Live Fire Demonstration/Kabul Int'l Airport
Old 2nd Oct 2001, 03:57
DESPERADO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kbf,
agree with most of what you said again, although I am a little more hawkish in my attitude.
I am not sure why I have to accept their culture as valid though. 900 years ago, we were most definately the barbarians when we arrived in Arab lands, burned pillaged and looted in the name of christianity; I agree that the word crusade is most inappropriate for what may be about to happen. The arab culture was far more sophisticated and 'modern' for want of a better word.
Now however, I don't accept the way that women, for example, are treated within this culture. In many countries they are treated as 3rd class citizens (behind the pets and livestock). They are not treated as equals, or revered in the way that they were 900 yrs ago, they are treated very badly and religious expression is used as an excuse. I am sure that you have probably travelled extensively in the Middle-east and seen this first hand. You talked about the imported labour, much of that labour is imported from countries such as the Phillipines and Bangladesh and these people are treated quite literally as slaves.
So in answer to your point, and at risk of being accused of being a racist (which I most definately am not). I accept their art, their religion, their history, their poetry, their stories and the often very warm hospitality and all that is good about the 'culture', but I don't accept the indefensible, the cruelty and the disrepect to other human beings that is a way of life for some. I am certainly not saying that western culture doesn't have its problems, guns, drugs, 2 world wars, etc etc, but at least society as a rule acknowledges where those faults are and trie to fix them.
I genuinely believe that Islam is a peaceful religion, but as I said before, I don't believe that any God would want its people of any sex or creed treated in this way. I think we need to stop excusing peoples actions just because it is 'their culture'. I am not advocating going to war with a nation because of the way that it treats a section of its society (Kosovo anyone), but no I don't accept it, and I don't believe it to be valid.
Hope I haven't offended anyone, just my point of view.